Saturday, November 12, 2011

ARE YOU LARGE OR SMALL? {Kathleen Bowie Photography special guest on Jpeg 2 Raw}

A few weeks ago, I was honored to be the special guest on the Jpeg 2 Raw podcast.  During my college days, I was the host of a morning radio show through Clear Channel!  I so loved doing radio, and this podcast took me back and made me realize how much I truly missed doing it!
I was excited about the show from the day Mike Howard asked me if I would be a guest.  I just LOVE helping others with their photography questions! It enriches me. 

Throughout my photography career I have come across two kinds of photographers.  We shall call them LARGE LENNY and SMALL SALLY.

LARGE LENNY views every other person who picks up a camera as a threat to his own photography career and in turn, is on the defense when someone asks for any tips or guidance in with their craft.  He may be prideful, thinking he does not want to waste his time with someone who "just picked up their camera and wants to be a photographer" or he may be fearful that the knowledge he shares could equip another to be better than he is.  Either way, his influence is narrow and that is exactly how he likes it.

SMALL SALLY is an open book, looking to edify and build up others who are trying to get their foot into the world of photography.  Why would she give away all her secrets, you ask?  Because she understands that in photography there truly are no secrets.  The difference between one photographer and another is the photographer, not the equipment they use, or the f-stop they choose...but the person that they are!

When I began my journey in photography I was so thirsty for knowledge and spent  A LOT of time searching for other experienced photographers who I could learn from.  I was scorned by many a LARGE LENNY and so truly blessed by a certain SMALL SALLY.  I came upon Small Sally and was in awe over her talents.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I found that she listed for other photographers, exactly how she executed her shots and what she used for props.  Her generosity was refreshing and so I strive to be like SMALL SALLY!  The Jpeg 2 Raw show gives photographers an opportunity to be generous with their knowledge and experience.  I am truly grateful for this show!

Ready for a fun photography analogy?   The word "aperture" means "opening".  This opening, pertaining to cameras, is in the lens.  The size of the aperture is controlled by the lens. An open aperture allows light to come in. A closed aperture, blocks light out.  
As photographers we have control over the aperture.  We can open the aperture, allowing more light in.  We can close the aperture,  allowing less or no light in. See diagram below:

As people we have control over our aperture, as well.    This opening, pertaining to people, is in the heart.  The size of the aperture is controlled by the heart. An open aperture allows people to come in. A closed aperture, blocks people out.  
See diagram below:

Stay with me.
The thing that is MOST confusing about aperture  is how it it measured.  The technical term for how aperture is measured in photography is called "f-stops".  The SMALLER the f-stop number, the more WIDE OEPN the aperture, and the LARGER the f-stop number, the more NARROW the aperture. (see diagram above)

Just like aperture, in order to keep our influence wide, we must consider ourselves small!


Luke 6:38 "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Proverbs 11:24 "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer;
another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want."

Acts 20:34 "...It is more blessed to give, than to receive."



Proverbs 11:2 "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom"

Here is where LARGE LENNY and SMALL SALLY are on the heart aperture scale. 
Small Sally is humble at heart and generous with her knowledge and so her influence on others is wide!
Large Lenny is prideful at heart and stingy with his knowledge.  Wracked by fear, he closes up and so his influence on others in narrow.  See diagram below:


Where are you on the heart aperture scale?

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up..."
1 Thessalonians 5:11

So...who is this SMALL SALLY I spoke of!  You have got to check them out and you can do so right HERE.

You can go listen to me on Jpeg 2 Raw here!  Hope it is helpful to you!


oh wait, we need a picture right? :)   hugs to you!













3 comments:

Dear Dacia said...

I love your analogy. It is also profound because it speaks to the opportunity to be a light in the world--or more accurately--let God's light shine brightly through you by widening your heart and serving others with the talents you have been given.

Desiree said...

Absolutely beautiful post Kathleen! Everything you said is soooo true and the person is all the difference in photography. The technical skill is obviously necessary component but the "something special" that comes through the picture is all in the person taking the picture. I am so blessed to call you my friend and a very BIG HEARTED small sally!

zach Smith said...

I think you just blew my mind.